2006 | Sephardic DNA | Destroyed Communities | 2007 | Darbenai Kinship | 2008 | Ancona Networks | Sephardic Elites | Cervera Archives | 2009 | Riga Registers | Hungarian Protocols | 2010 |Hungarian Families | 2011 | Hapsburg Families | Spanish Extremadura | 2012 | Piotrków Trybunalski | 2013 | Jews of Pinczow | Jews, Frankists and Converts | Jewish Community of Tarrega | 2014 | Vienna’s Jewish Upper Class | Hispano-Jewish Onomastics | 2015 | Modern Genealogy of Polish Jews | Reading Between the Lines |
A GENEALOGICAL HISTORY OF THE JEWS OF PINCZOW (POLAND) IN THE 18TH & 19TH CENTURIES
Prof. Heshel Teitelbaum
Pinczow is a small town in the Kielce province of Poland. According to the Yizkor Book for Pinczow and to Yad Vashem’s Pinkas haKehillot series, the majority of the town’s population was Jewish prior to World War 2. By the mid-19th century there were about 3,000 Jews living in Pinczow, and by the end of the 19th century their numbers grew to over 5,000. As was typical of most towns in central Poland, Jews engaged in a very large variety of occupations; but Pinczow is remarkable for the relatively large number of scholars and Rabbis who lived there for much of its history. Much of the history of the Rabbinate is described in the Yizkor Book; and for the years prior to 1614 it was the subject of a study by Simon Dubnow. However, information on ordinary families of the town is available mostly in anecdotal form, as for example in the Yizkor book. Nevertheless, it is possible to reconstruct at least the family trees of these families from the civil registry records of Pinczow. Birth, marriage and death records for the town have been preserved almost in their entirety from 1810 to the present time, and they are now publically accessible up to the year 1912.
The primary aim of the project is to determine the genealogical history of the Jews of Pinczow over an extended period of time of about 200 years.
Click here for the Final Report on this project.